Documentation integration

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM
Hi,
First of all this is an excellent extenstion to Visual Studio. I haven't implemented it in my team yet, but I started playing around with it and must say - I'm impressed !

I was wondering though if it would be possible to integrate some kind of documentation - I'm thinking that some kind of Readme.html file within the "package" would serve as a popup when hovering over the package in the Repository explorer. Might even be a node or a right-click menu serving the file into the "editor-area".

Another nice feature would be to integrate documentation for the repository packages. I'm thinking that the when referencing a library it should be possible to also integrate a .chm file if one is available within the package. I appreciate that this might pose a long list of problems with different versions etc. but i think this would be an excellent feature to an already excellent add-in. 
Jan 26, 2009 at 1:55 PM
Thanks ojo,

I'm working on the documentation to provide something more useful.
The package uses the Open Convention Format. OPC is just the format used by Office 2007. If you change its extension by .zip, you can see all its contents.

You have two options to integrate the documentation to your package. 1) With the documentation property of the model, you can provide an URL (visible in the repository context menu) or 2) By adding an artifact (the .chm file) to your model. To add an artifact, drag and drop the artifact item from the tool box or drag and drop a file from the solution explorer.
Jan 26, 2009 at 2:50 PM
Again - excellent !

I'll test later tonight to see if this solves my documentation needs for now. 

Looking forward to your next release....

;-) Happy Coding !
Jan 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM
Thanks again ojo,

Don't forget to post your remarks, suggestions, bugs...
Jan 27, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Now -  I finally got around testing your suggestions.

Solution 1 works as a charm and would be a good way to point the users to the initial documentation and maybe a changelog of some kind
Solution 2 however I can't seem to get workign. Might it be that the 19. january version does not implement this correctly ? When i look in the toolbox - i don't have the "Artifact" tool. Although i can drag a file unto the dependency-diagram when I publish it - everythig seems fine - except the properties dialog does not show any artifacts.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:32 AM
I have to plan to publish a new release this week-end with some minor corrections. I'm going to look at this point to see if there is something wrong.
Regards,
Mar 6, 2009 at 4:31 PM
Hi, It looks great. Is there any example of using this in real.
I'm looking forward on new versions.

Mirec